I know you will know what I mean when I say big life transitions are tough. Exciting for sure, but challenging nonetheless. There is so much unknown and trepidation, even if deep down you know that everything will turn out ok. With transitions like marriage, starting a family, changing jobs, moving across the country, or whatever other big life event we might be going through, the challenge is to stay centered and keep our sense of self as we navigate through uncertainties and changes.
Here are 5 ways I am learning to stay calm and strong as I move through some of my own life changes:
1. Use your body to stay grounded: As much as stress from major life transitions make you just want to eat comfort foods and mope around, keep a daily routine to stay active, exercise your body, and eat well. The more we can use our body as an anchor, the easier it will be to stay centered on good self care as we move through challenging times. A strong body and good nutrition will help us to stay mentally sharp and emotionally strong when things get challenging.
2. Take time to sit and breathe: I know it may sound counter-intuitive when all you probably feel is constant stress, worry, and restlessness. I personally feel like I need to do, do, do, so that I can feel like I am in control of something and accomplishing something. Sometimes the thing that helps the most though, is to take a break from the anxious thoughts and let yourself just calm your mind and deepen your breath.
3. Renew your vision: Keep bringing yourself back to your big picture end goal. We may not know how the details will play out, but our job is to keep our eyes on our ultimate vision to keep us moving forward. What are the feelings you want to feel as this transition happens? What do you want the final outcome to be? See yourself experiencing that final outcome and know that you are on your way.
4. Keep talking it out: Whether with your partner or a supportive friend, keep the communication open so you can sort through your thoughts, needs, and wants. It’s not easy to keep everything bottled up within yourself, especially since most life transitions affect more than just yourself. Share your feelings, fears, and desires in positive ways is a healthy thing.
5. Relax and believe in yourself: Take actions that feel right to you when the time is right but remember that life also has its own agenda for us. Relax, breathe, and know that everything is unfolding as it should. Believe that you are doing the right things and that whatever you want the most from your heart will be what the Universe wants for you too. Life wants the best for us and with time, everything will fall into its right place.
Even when life transitions may seem challenging, daunting, or unsettling…they are a sign that you are growing and that life is evolving forward. Stay centered and grounded within yourself and watch life bring you new amazing things that you never even imagined.
RECEIVE MY BEST INSPIRATION & TIPS BY EMAIL!
* indicates required